Triple Crown Automated Horse Feeders: Horse Health Takes A Giant Leap Forward
Triple Crown Automated Horse Feeders For Improved Horse Health
Horses were designed by nature to continuously graze. As we remove them from their natural habitat, we feed them meals. Meal feeding and confinement can be the root cause of many issues horse owners deal with on a regular basis, such as colic, over-weight, under-weight, ulcers, laminitis and other vices. Feeding is also one of the most costly and time consuming parts of horse ownership. Whether your goal is to reduce the time you spend feeding, making sure your horse is receiving the proper amount of feed, or trying to improve body condition with a difficult horse, the Triple Crown SiMPLE Feeder may be your answer. You can now feed up to eight times per day with an easy to install and program feeding system.
For more information, call 800-267-7198.
|Time Savings: The feeder is always on the job. You can now set the timer to feed early in the morning allowing more time for coffee, early in the afternoon so they have been fed and ready to ride later, or at night so if you get hung up at work or in traffic, your horse still gets fed. The SiMPLE Feeders can also make sure your horses get fed the right amount and at the right time even when you're not around. No more worrying about inconsistent help.|
Feeding Reliability: Boarding barn help can be erratic on feeding times and accuracy. Now you can make sure that your horse gets fed the right amount at the right time.
Feeding Management: Many of today's horses have specific feeding issues that complicate feeding time. Either it is related to time management for reliability, as mentioned above; other times it is more related to managing body condition. Often feeding smaller, more frequent meals solves problems of finicky eaters and horses requiring large quantities of feed per day in order to maintain body condition. In feeding trails, summarized below, the Triple Crown SiMPLE Feeder was able to increase feed intake, improve body condition, and make the horses more rested versus feeding large meals twice a day.
Convenience: Feed when you want, not only when you are there
Labor Savings: Helps reduce feeding time or the need to hire extra help
Reliability: Know when and how much is being fed
Weight Gain: Feed more often for better feed utilization.
Help Reduce Vices: Feeding more often will sometimes help with weaving, cribbing and other stall vices.
Ulcer Control: Feeding less feed, more often is recommended to help reduce the potential for ulcers.
Studies Involving the Triple Crown SiMPLE Feeder
An Evaluation of a Trickle Feeding System for Horses
S. Hardman & B. Younge
Dept. Life Sciences, Equine Science, University of Limerick ,Ireland
Extracts from findings:
• More frequent meal times (feed intake rate reduced)
• Horses were more rested (manual fed horses more active in the stall)
• Feed intake increased from 11.5 lbs. to 15 lbs. (over 4 weeks at 8 feedings per day)
The Effect of Feeding Frequency on Feeding and Resting Behaviors
A. Irvine & B. Younge
Dept Life Sciences, Equine Science, University of Limerick .Ireland
Extracts from findings:
• Increased water intake (Horses drank more frequently before and after feeding when fed more often)
• Spent more time eating, reducing time for nervous or bored activity
• Horses were more rested, especially at night
• Slowed down the rate of intake
Specifics of the Triple Crown SiMPLE Feeder
• Easy to mount on stall bars to feed into a hanging bucket or fasten to the solid lower part of the stall for feeding out of a pan on the ground (requires a 3" diameter hole).
• Runs off a 12 volt converter that plugs into a normal electrical outlet.
• Uses very little electricity, 6 units can be plugged into one outlet, uses only 0.3 amps under a full load.
• The feed is dispensed by an auger versus the feed being dropped by gravity, therefore, textured (sweet) feeds can be used in this feeder. However, we caution the use of sweet feeds in very cold climates in the winter. Under severe cold conditions, we recommend pelleted feeds.
• You set the timer on the unit for what day, time and duration for dispensing the feed. Run the unit for 15 to 30 seconds to calibrate to the amount of feed you want dispensed, and then adjust the run time accordingly.
• Once the timer is set, the battery within the timer will save that information.
• If power is lost, the feeder will not run, but the timer will keep the current time and all programming and will dispense the next feeding at the appropriate time.
• From the timer, you can manually turn the feeder on to dispense a small amount for supplemental feeding or as a treat. You can also turn the programmable function off in case the horse is out of the stall or you are at a show.
• A sight glass on the feeder shows you the level of feed in the unit.
• The unit will hold approximately 30 lbs. of feed.
Don't Forget Your Other Animals!
The Triple Crown SiMPLE Feeder works well for other animals, and can dispense feeds for other animals such as for dogs, cats, goats, llamas, chickens, etc.