When it comes to nutrition, Triple Crown leads the industry.
Triple Crown has been providing leading-edge equine nutrition for over 20 years, using innovations such as fixed formulas and low- or no-grain inclusion feeds to lower starches and sugars. But the one thing that makes all Triple Crown feeds unique is EquiMix®.
EquiMix has been the foundation of Triple Crown super premium horse feeds since the very beginning. With a unique blend of yeast cultures, organic minerals, prebiotics, probiotics and digestive enzymes, the proven technology in EquiMix helps optimize intestinal function, improve the immune system, and protect against mycotoxins and pathogenic bacteria.
The key nutrients found in EquiMix are:
NEW INGREDIENT- BUTIPEARL™ Z EQ
Guaranteed on the bag as “Butyric Acid” and “Zinc” and “Peppermint Essential Oil”
- THE PROBLEM: The intestinal barrier is regularly exposed to up to 10 trillion microorganisms, making it extremely important to keep it functioning properly.
- THE SOLUTION: The combination of zinc and butyric acid strengthens the lining of the gut, leading to improved nutrient absorption and a stronger barrier against pathogens, parasites
- GOOD TO KNOW: ButiPEARL™ Z EQ is the first product of its kind on the market. The encapsulated pearls offer a slow release butyric acid to support normal health and function of the digestive tract. The addition of peppermint essential oil makes the ingredient palatable for the horse and offers a pleasant scent.
DIRECT FED MICROBIALS (Probiotics)
Guaranteed on the bag as “Lactobacillus Acidophilus” and “Enterococcus Faecium” and “Bacillus Subtilis PB6”
- THE PROBLEM: Found in the hindgut, microbial strains are constantly under stress from diet, work conditions, temperature extremes, illness and a host of other issues.
- THE SOLUTION: Supplementing the good bacteria helps reduce the potential for excessive bad bacteria that can cause digestive upsets or intestinal inflammation and lead to colic or other problems related to digestion. Feeding probiotics continuously proves to be more effective than periodic dosing during stress periods. Recent university research and clinical evidence indicates that for a probiotic to be effective, it must be fed or dosed at a minimum of 1 billion colony-forming units (CFUs) per day.
- GOOD TO KNOW: EquiMix now contains a patented strain of Bacillus subtilis. This is a unique, naturally occurring, spore-forming microorganism that helps maintain a horse’s appetite while assisting in protecting against Clostridia (a cause of health issues such as diarrhea) and Salmonella. Triple Crown ensures each probiotic strain provides a minimum of 1 billion CFUs per day.
YEAST (Prebiotics and Probiotics)
Guaranteed on the bag as “Saccharomyces Cerevisiae”
- THE PROBLEM: Horses consume large quantities of pasture and hay to meet the majority of their energy needs. Sometimes the available options are low in quality and harder for the horse to digest.
- THE SOLUTION: Live yeast cultures and yeast metabolites help maintain a healthy microbial population in the hindgut. Specifically, live yeast aids in phosphorus absorption and fiber digestion, while yeast metabolites feed the microbes to provide a healthier, more viable population.
- GOOD TO KNOW: EquiMix now contains thermostable live yeast with 25% more live cells than before.
MANNAN OLIGOSACCHARIDE (MOS) (Prebiotics)
Guaranteed on the bag as “Yeast Culture, Hydrolized Yeast and Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate”
- THE PROBLEM: Harmful bacteria like E. coli and Salmonella can wreak havoc on a horse’s digestive system.
- THE SOLUTION: MOS attracts pathogenic bacteria and helps to reduce the risk of them attaching to the cell wall, reducing the possibility of further absorption.
- GOOD TO KNOW: EquiMix now uses an improved food-grade MOS with higher consistency and quality.
MYCOTOXIN PROTECTION (Prebiotics)
Guaranteed on the bag as “Hydrolized Yeast”
- THE PROBLEM: Mycotoxins occur when molds and fungus are stressed, typically by weather, and can cause declines in a horse’s appearance, body condition and performance.
- THE SOLUTION: The mycotoxin protectants Triple Crown uses are yeast-based, so like MOS, they attract and neutralize various forms of mycotoxins commonly found in hay.
- GOOD TO KNOW: Major feed companies test grains and ingredients to try to prevent the inclusion of mycotoxins in their feeds, but university research finds as much as 80% of hay samples have some level of contamination.
Guaranteed on the bag as “Cellulose” and “Protease”
- THE PROBLEM: The small intestine is responsible for absorbing most of the fats, carbohydrates, protein and minerals from a horse’s diet, both in feed and hay/pasture. Based on how we feed horses, this part of the digestive tract can become overwhelmed with soluble carbohydrates (starch and sugar), causing gut problems and discomfort and leading to lost, undigested proteins.
- THE SOLUTION: Digestive enzymes in EquiMix help horses maximize digestion and absorption of important nutrients from hay and grain for proper nutrition and energy.
- GOOD TO KNOW: The digestive enzymes in EquiMix supplement the naturally occurring enzymes in the horse’s gut.
Guaranteed on the bag as “Lecithin”
- THE PROBLEM: Fat and fat-soluble vitamins like A, D and E can be difficult for horses to digest. In addition, when overconsumed, fat-soluble vitamins are stored by the body, which can lead to toxicity.
- THE SOLUTION: Adding lysolecithin to a horse’s diet improves digestibility by breaking up energy-rich fat sources into smaller droplets. By increasing the surface area, fats are more easily absorbed and fat soluble vitamins (like A, D and E) are more bioavailable.
- GOOD TO KNOW: Lysolecithin, a natural emulsifier used in EquiMix, is more effective in aiding in fat digestibility than conventional lecithin sources. One industry consultant suggested a 15% increase in energy availability may be possible with this new source.
SEVEN ORGANIC MINERALS (selenium, iron, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese and cobalt)
- THE PROBLEM: Minerals help to metabolize nutrients, maintain connective tissue and joint tissue, aid in oxygen transport to muscle and act as antioxidants. But not all minerals are created equally.
- THE SOLUTION: Organic minerals, like the kind used in EquiMix, offer superior bioavailability. They also improve mineral absorption without negatively interacting with other minerals.
- GOOD TO KNOW: EquiMix now includes seven organic minerals added at rates for proven efficacy. Three new hydroxy-based minerals — copper, zinc and manganese — are released gradually, making them available at the right time for absorption in the small intestine.
THREE MICRO MINERALS (boron, chromium and vanadium)
Guaranteed on the bag as “Kelp Meal”
- THE PROBLEM: Some horse feed companies overlook the importance of micro minerals.
- THE SOLUTION: Horses require micro minerals, including boron, chromium and vanadium, in extremely small amounts, as they are critically important for structural soundness and to improve protein and energy utilization.
- GOOD TO KNOW: Starting as seaweed, our kelp meal provides a natural source of micro minerals that are included in EquiMix.